Environmental Education Director
We are seeking an ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION DIRECTOR to lead the development and management of our Environmental Education Department.
We have a lot of fun here, but we are serious about the importance of environmental education and we’re looking for a leader who will be able to:
- Develop and implement a long-term strategy for closing the eco-literacy gap in the Tri-State area
- Guide the development and delivery of environmental education programming that meets the needs and interests of people of all ages
- Create avenues for greater accessibility, inclusivity and diversity within our programs and activities
- Initiate collaborative efforts to build bridges with the school systems, community organizations, public agencies and advocacy groups
- Supervise and build team work among our educators, naturalists, volunteers, and interns
- Work in partnership with the Community Engagement Manager to recruit and train volunteers
- Design impact evaluation processes, collect and analyze data
Our EE Director will have a passion for nature and the environment, wildlife and wild places, and love for teaching others. This person should have concern for the environment and be knowledgeable about stewardship. We want a colleague who is an innovative team player and collaborative with a growth mindset.
We require a college degree (Master’s preferred) in the environmental sciences, sustainability, conservation, or science education. At least three years experience in field instruction or other environmental education setting, plus experience in team leadership, program development and/or education. Must have a valid driver’s license and a background check will be required.
Apply by sending a cover letter and resume, along with a two-page essay on “How Environmental Education Contributes to the Well-being of the Community” to Ms. Levy Schroeder, Executive Director, at
Closing date is June 7, 2019; Project start date is July 1, 2019.
Front Desk Attendant
Never a dull moment at Wesselman Woods and we need a cheerful front desk attendant to make sure all visitors to our nature center get a friendly welcome. You’ll get the place ready each day for a steady stream of families, school trips, groups, hikers, birdwatchers, nature lovers and volunteers.
- Answer general questions about Wesselman Woods
- Give directions
- Process admission fees
- Assist people signing up for memberships
- Answer the phone
- Make sure those who need extra attention are seen and heard
- Collaborate with a team passionate about nature and the environment, and put forth your ideas about programs, events and activities
Must have extraordinary people skills with ability to be diplomatic; basic clerical skills, and experience in a customer service situation. Basic first aid skills are a plus but not required. A background check will be required.
We have part time and full time positions open; both require working every second weekend (Saturday & Sunday).
Come Play With Us!
Wesselman Woods is home to Indiana’s only Natural Playscape, which happens to be the largest in the U.S. It opened last year, and thousands of young children experienced outdoors as it should be—free style play in the dirt and water, mud puddles, building forts, climbing trees, exploring the big outdoors.
We are hiring Playscape Guides for the summer—part time and full time positions available.
- Make sure kids and parents feel welcome and secure
- Give a brief orientation to new folks
- Answer questions
- Keep pathways and waterways clear
- Keep the mud pile muddy
- Provide basic first aid by fixing minor boo-boos
- Keep eye out for unsafe situations
- Clean up the area and prep for the next day at closing
Must have a cheery outlook, playful spirit and a combination of experience with young children and adults. Must be able to stand for long periods, move heavy objects (like a 5 pound rock), tolerate heat and still be cheerful. Basic first aid certification is a plus, and must be able to pass a background check.
Positions begin May 1 and run through August 15. We pay $7.25 per hour, provide uniform and training.